Blueberry and Camembert scones
Partnering with FoodShopHK (https://foodshop.hk) to bring you this recipe for savoury cheesy scones.
It's hard to source good quality European products at affordable prices in Hong Kong, so it's been a delight to find such an extensive range of ingredients and get an opportunity to work with some of FoodShop's dairy products and specialist flours.
This version is an adaptation of a Fortnum and Masons recipe.
You can substitute up to a quarter of the plain flour for rye, spelt, wholemeal or replace the whole amount with a gluten-free flour mix instead.
Ingredients (makes 10-12)
360g plain flour*
20g baking powder
Pinch teaspoon salt
100g unsalted butter*, diced small
80g Camembert, diced
20g Parmesan cheese, grated
30g blueberry jam
120ml whole milk
1/2 egg, lightly beaten, to glaze
*ingredients from FoodShopHK
1. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Mix in the Camembert, Parmesan and blueberry jam.
3. Stir in the milk, combine until the dough just comes together. Cover the bowl with cling film, set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Roll the dough out to around 2cm thick on a lightly floured surface. Stamp out (don’t twist the cutter) circles with a 5.5cm floured cutter. Re-roll the dough and stamp out the remaining scones.
5. Place the scones on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
6. Brush the tops with beaten egg, set aside in the fridge for 45 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas Mark 6, bake in the top part of the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and risen.
8. Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving warm.
Nutritional information per scone: 253kcal, 1063kJ, 6.4g protein, 11.7g fat, 32.6g carbohydrates, 1.4g fibre
Vegetarian, nut free, soy free