Similar to Dauphinoise potatoes, this vegan version is made with soy cream, soy milk and vegan cheese. I made this alongside a traditional one with cow's milk, cream and cheese and asked my family to blind taste both. They really liked it and said they would have never guessed it was vegan!
Ingredients (serves 2)
150ml soy cream*
150ml unsweetened soy milk*
1/2 small onion, peeled thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
Pinch ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground pepper
150g (1 large) potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
50g vegan cheese**
1. Bring the soy cream, soy milk, onion and garlic to a simmer in a saucepan over a medium-low heat, add the nutmeg, season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Simmer for 5 minutes before adding the potatoes. Continue to cook for 7-9 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
3. Strain the potatoes and onions from the milk and cream mixture.
4. Put a layer of potatoes in an oven proof dish (5cm depth), sprinkle some cheese over the top, continue until all the potatoes and cheese have been used. Pour just enough of the milk, cream and onions mixture to seep through the potato mixture and moisten the top.
5. Bake in a preheated oven 180C fan for around 30 minutes or until the top is golden browned.
Nutritional information per serving: 370kcal, 1537kJ, 5.9g protein, 25.5g fat, 28.7g carbohydrates, 4.3g fibre
Gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, groundnut-free