Always wanted to try making my own sweetened condensed milk with a plant "milk".
Working from home has given me the perfect opportunity to try it out. Two ingredients plus a lot of stirring and standing in the kitchen, my condensed milk is ready.
Ingredients (makes around 150ml)
500ml unsweetened soy milk (I used OraSi soy milk)
50g coconut sugar
1. Bring the milk and sugar to a simmer over a medium-low heat.
2. Cook, stirring frequently. Otherwise the soy milk will catch and burn on the bottom of the pan, and you'll sadly have to start all over again :(.
3. After around half an hour, start stirring even more frequently, the mixture will be a little thicker now.
4. Near the end of cooking time, stir constantly until the mixture has reduced by 60%.
5. Pour into a glass jar or container, stir occasionally to stop a skin forming on the top of the milk. Allow to cool before chilling in the fridge for at least 3 hours. It'll thicken more in the fridge.
Nutritional information per tablespoon (20g): 7kcal, 29kJ, 0.6g protein, 0.4g fat, 0.2g carbohydrates, 0g fibre