Not so sour sourdough
Chiew See’s (@autumn kitchen) genius same day bake sourdough sandwich loaf has inspired many a baker on Instagram and Facebook to try out this recipe. Here I’ve tweaked her ingredients and method to fit in with my baking schedule.
If you’ve been following me on Instagram, you’ll know that I currently keep three starters called Ella, Bella and Floella.
Ella is of Asian origin, she’s a hybrid of starters that generous bakers have shared with me from Hong Kong and Singapore, she’s maintained on 100% white bread flour.
Bella is European, again a hybrid of starters from bakers in London and Milan, she’s maintained on 20% wholewheat flour.
Last but not least is my new baby Floella, made using a formula from another amazing baker @maurizio, she’s maintained on 20% rye flour. I keep really small quantities of each starter in the fridge and refresh them every other day and when needed for baking.
Sorry I forgot to take photos as I was going along but will do it next time and update.
Ingredients (1 loaf baked in a 20cmX11cmX11cm Pullman tin)
60g filtered water
60g Korean bread flour
30g granulated sugar
210g bread flour
50g rye flour
25g muscovado sugar
100g whole milk
175g sweet levain
25g softened unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. 6am: Build the sweet levain. Leave for 6-7 hours at room temperature (28-30C) until tripled in size.
2. 12pm: Mix all the ingredients for the main dough including the levain in my Kitchenaid on medium speed, apart from the butter, until smooth. Slowly add the butter on low speed until thoroughly incorporated, mix on medium speed until the dough reaches the windowpane stage.
3. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into two equal pieces.
4. Shape each piece into a log shape, place in a lightly greased pullman tin.
5. Cover with cling wrap or a shower cap, proof until the dough fills 90% of the tin 9about 6-7hr at 28-30C0.
6. 5:30pm: Preheat the oven at 180C fan.
7. 6pm: Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes, tent with foil during the last 5-10 minutes if the top is getting too brown.
8. Remove from the oven, turn the loaf out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
9. Cuts into around 10 slices
Estimated nutritional information per slice: 175kcal, 742kJ, 4.7g protein, 3.3g fat, 33.6g carbohydrates, 1.7g fibre
Not entirely sure about the nutritional information for Bella, so this is a guesstimate for the nutrients.